Baptism (Newborn – 6 Years Old)
Parents are encouraged to contact St. John Neumann during their pregnancy or shortly after birth to discuss Baptism Preparation Classes and the actual Baptism. A Baptism Preparation Class is required for parents who are baptizing their first child or who have not baptized within the past 5 years. Classes are scheduled at St. John Neumann once a month. Baptism celebrations are scheduled once or twice a month, typically at 1:15 pm following the Noon Mass. For more information about Baptism and the scheduled dates/times for classes and baptisms, please contact the parish office at 651-454-2079.
General Steps for Baptism
- Become registered parishioners at St. John Neumann (if not already)
- Contact the Parish Office to register for a Baptism Preparation Class and/or a Baptism Celebration.
- Complete the Baptism Sacristy Record Form
- Child and Parent Information
- Selection of 1 or 2 Godparents for your Child
- At least 1 Godparent must be a practicing Catholic.
- If 2 Godparents are selected, they must be 1 male and 1 female.
- Provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate or hospital birth record (once available)
- Attend a Baptism Preparation Class (required for 1st time parents baptizing and parents who haven’t baptized in over 5 years). Parents can attend any of the scheduled classes, as long as it is prior to the Baptism Celebration.
- Participate in the Baptism Celebration (offered 1-2 times a month at St. John Neumann).
Baptism (7 years and older)
To learn more about baptizing a child who is 7 years or older, please contact Fr. Mark Pavlak at 651-209-8581 to learn more about the Christian Initiation Process for children.